Friday, September 7, 2012

Girl Scout Daisy Banner



Well, I won't be making this final "Flashback Friday" entry by midnight-but I started before then, so it still counts!
This was a truly fun meeting. The banner we made this afternoon, we have used in almost every meeting since, utilized during ceremonies, as well as cookie selling time. I saw my eldest daughter standing the other day and just staring at it. I asked her what she was thinking and she replied, "I was just thinking that I will always keep this banner as a memory of our troop, I just love Girl Scouts." Enough said. 
Girl Scout meeting #3
It was obvious to me by the third meeting that I was feeling the spirit of Girl Scouting, and I truly feel I was “Channeling Juliette.”  Along with planning  these initial meetings, I had been reading the story of Juliette Gordon Lows life.  She was such an inspiration to me, and I truly felt a kinship.  The story of how she founded Girl Scouts of America, along with the help of Lord Robert Baden-Powell, seemed so parallel to my experience with becoming a leader. Girl Scouts kind of fell into Juliettes life, just as being a leader fell into mine.   It’s not difficult to imagine why her idea of scouting was so quick to catch on.



The feeling I was having definitely starting catching on in my little Daisies by our third meeting.  After getting into our Daisy Ring, and going over all of the business of the week, we made Daisy paper dolls.  I explained to the girls that they should make their paper doll to look like them.  I also explained the importance in having respect for yourself, no matter what.  This lesson contributed to the girls earning their Purple Petal, for “respecting myself and others.” Then, we began working on our very own troop banner.  We attached a piece of Navy Blue Muslin to a round wooden dowel to make our banner.  Out of white felt we cut out “Girl Scouts” and “Troop #234,” and glued them to the top center of the banner. 

Then, we cut  a Daisy out of white felt for each girl,  with a yellow felt center.  The yellow felt center had each girls name written on it, to identify each “Daisy” girl in our troop.  The girls absolutely were so focused on this activity, and couldn’t wait their turn to place their felt Daisy in whatever spot they chose.  It was a very sweet experience for us all.  At the end of our meeting, we had our Friendship Squeeze out in the yard, finishing our meeting once again with “Juliette Taps.”   
Above, our Banner being used in our Daisy Investiture Ceremony 

No comments:

Post a Comment